Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Adopt a Highway

I participated in Adopt A Highway on Monday on a stretch of I-69 adopted by GM. It was the first time I participated in this, and I dare say, I hope it's the last. I'm all about volunteering, but this is the bottom of the barrel for me. First, standing not so far from an expressway where semi-trucks are flying by at 70+ miles an hour hardly seems safe. Second, the layers of latex gloves and work gloves made my hands sweat in a way I thought was not possible (and really, it shouldn't be possible). Third, the volume of vile and disgusting trash collected was ridiculous. Fourth, I really felt I should have had a Tetanus booster before this because of the number of sharp and / or rusty objects I "found." I would much rather work on a project to educate people on why they should not litter in the first place. Can I tell you how long it took to de-tangle my hair? It's not something I complain about normally, but I honestly could have had dreadlocks by the next day had I not taken care of it. Ugh. Other than that, it was great to spend the morning outside. I just wish it hadn't been spent picking up other people's trash.

No comments: