Sunday, August 24, 2008

Because You're an Idiot...

First, to dispel a few comments of disbelief regarding one of my blogs about camping...yes, there really is a raccoon ladder at Sleeper State Park. Using my finely-honed deductive reasoning skills, the raccoons climb into the dumpsters, likely looking for food. The dumpsters are eventually emptied. There is a ladder that the poor campground workers put in the dumpsters for the raccoons to climb out before the Waste Management truck empties the dumpsters. I'm a fan of Darwin...and notably not a fan of raccoons...I say leave the mongrels in the dumpster, and send them to the landfill. Surely they will live a shorter, yet happier, existence there. And because I swear I can't make this shit up, here's a picture. In my mind, it's worth only one word - ewww!
In other news, the Blazer is fixed, and has been rechristened The SpliceMobile. She and I made the trip to and from Caseville without a problem - she shifted like a charm! I will admit, I was a bit nervous after having loaded her up for the trip. Again, how can one person fill an entire vehicle for four days of camping? The thought of The SpliceMobile breaking down made me shudder. I couldn't begin to imagine the rigors of having her towed from some godforsaken small town in the Thumb, let alone figure out how to still make it to the campground (which of course was of utmost importance). But she was a champ!
My current issue is my ridiculous habit of scheduling way too many activities in a short amount of time. I think from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, I will have managed to spend the entire weekend in Lansing maybe three times. While I love having things to do (generally speaking - I could've done without the hospital trips to the Detroit area), I'm itching for some time at home. Perhaps this is because I know it's around the corner. I leave for Canada (ahhhhh...Canada - one of my favorite trips of the year!) on Thursday, and return Tuesday, and have the rest of next week off. I love Canada. It's impossible to explain why I love it so much - to describe it, it's a cabin on a lake, with no running water. That's right - outhouse, bathe in the lake, cook on a wood burning stove. Not a five-star resort, by any stretch. But the thought of sitting on the rock, looking up at the incredible stars, waiting to see some of them shoot across the sky while the loons are calling across the lake to each other, all while sharing good company and bad wine is the ultimate relaxation.
So the conversation I had in my head about my recent trips and overscheduling of activities mimicked one of the scenes in Heathers, where Veronica's dad is frustrated while working on a crossword puzzle:
Mr. Sawyer: Would someone tell me why I do these damn things?
Veronica: Because you're an idiot.
Mr. Sawyer: Oh yeah...that's right.

1 comment:

Wishful Ink said...

I hope you have the best of best times in Canada. I will look forward to H2O next wednesday after I get back from my second trip north this week! I think you will enjoy my last post...I love not camping. More to come. J