Monday, August 18, 2008

Stranded...so so sad...

My Blazer decided to stop shifting yesterday. She's been a trooper of a vehicle thus far, and with over 163,000 miles, so I'm not surprised that she's aching for a rest. I'm guessing it's a problem with the transmission (possible understatement...), so I drove the whopping mile to the nearest GM dealership, as it's the closest repair shop. Tim at Crippen was very nice, but very new. He neglected to tell me - until I called around 2pm and had him check on the status of my vehicle - that the Transmission Guy called in sick with an absessed tooth. First, that's just more information than I needed. Second, why is there only one guy who can evaluate transmissions? Third, had I known that the Transmission Guy was out sick, I would've had my poor Blazer towed to a shop that had a healthy Transmission Guy today. In anticipation of the car repairs, I was trying to avoid a tow to minimize cost a little. Regardless, my Blazer is still at Crippen, and I had a message from Tim that Transmission Guy reported he will be at work tomorrow.

My dear friend Melissa gave me a ride home from work today. But now I find I'm stranded. This is NOT a tragedy, by any stretch of the imagination. I have the day off tomorrow (Dexter Season II Day - woohoo!!), and my girl Runs With Spatula already offered a ride (she's so sweet!).

But I have realized I have songs with the word "stranded" stuck in my head. So, I thought I'd share:

Stranded
-Heart

Standing here helpless
Where do I go
If you leave me alone
Where do I turn now
If it don't work out
As far as I can see
This isn't the way
That you said it would be...

Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
If you walk away now
You leave me empty handed
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
Don't leave me now
Don't leave me...

Stranded
-Blue October

How's it so, you describe,
All the things that we might do someday?
And who's to know the truth
That what you do is never what you say
Hobsons Choice, enjoy the thrill
Going out, but you don't even care
When all the passion's gone
You can sit and choose which dress to wear

Here we are stranded, where is love to land
When I can fear the world in me? S
o here we are stranded, it's not the way we planned
On our island, lost at sea

Cote d'azur, St. Tropez
Hollywood or Monte Carlo Bay
When all is said and done
Love is rich, but wealth's second to none
Heart and soul, you decide
Far off places, you might need to go
A million miles away
In search of something you already know

Here we are stranded, where is love to land
When I can fear the world in me?
So here we are stranded, it's not the way we planned
On our island, lost at sea
On a mountainside, let the memories fly
And feel this washed away
We can question why, will our love survive
One more, lonely, long Summers day?
Are we right or wrong, to wait so long
When it's our ship docked in the bay?
Should we sail or stay?
Was it over anyway?


And here's the grand finale, as here's where the stranded lyrics issue began:

Sandy
-John Travolta


Stranded at the drive in,
branded a fool,
what will they say Monday at school?
Sandy, can't you see, I'm in misery
We made a start,
now we're apart,
there's nothin' left for me
Love has flown all alone,
I sit and wonder why-y-y oh why you left me, oh Sandy

Oh Sandy, maybe someday, when high school is done
Somehow, someway, our two worlds will be one
In heaven forever and ever we will be,
oh please say you'll stay, oh Sandy

Sandy my darlin', you hurt me real bad, you know it's true
But baby, you gotta believe me when I say,
I'm helpless without you

Love has flown all alone, I sit,
I wonder why-y-y oh why youleft me, oh Sandy
Sandy, Sandy, why-y-y-y, oh Sandy

So none of these songs have anything to do with my Blazer being stuck still at Crippen. It's Monday. But I do appreciate your support if you actually read this whole post. I probably would've skipped most of it.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Honestly, the Heart song was the first one I thought of.

I can give you a ride if you need one - trust me, I know how it is!

Wishful Ink said...

Runs with spatula is sweet isn't she. I am so sorry you are stranded. Did you already have a day scheduled off? I immediately thought of Stranded at the Drive In when I saw the title. That post was so funny. It is interesting the things you find out when you see what the lyrics actually are rather than what you thought they were...love to you. Let me know if you need or want for anything. J