Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Holy Mole-y!

Today was my yearly appointment with the dermatologist to have an overall mole check. I've been a crispy critter in the summer for most of my life, many times despite using sunblock. And for the moles I can see, I try to keep in mind the cute little ABCDs of skin cancer:
A - Asymmetry
B - Border irregularities (ragged, etc.)
C - Color - not uniform or color changes
D - Diameter (greater than 6mm = time to worry!)

So, each year I point out whatever changes I've noticed. This year, four moles were raised more than in the past, and with one mole / growth, the color in the middle was lighter than the outside. The dermatologist assured me the four raised moles were fine. The one with the color issue, on the back of my left hand, seemed okay. But she gave me the option - keep monitoring, or have it removed. I opted to have it removed.

Now, I know I'm a bit of a freak (CFreaky, anyone?), so when she asked if I wanted to lie down or if I thought I would be comfortable sitting, I told her with gusto that I wanted to sit and watch it all. She called the assistant for the 6mm punch, and proceeded to glove up, clean the area, and inject some fantastic anesthetic. She warned me the last time she removed a mole that the anesthesia would sting considerably, and I either have a great tolerance to this or I have insensitive nerves, which seems like a contradiction in terms, but it didn't sting at all. It was pretty cool to see the entire area balloon up when the anesthesia was injected. And in just a second, the area was numb, including my middle finger (how convenient!).The assistant came in with the punch. This by far was the coolest part. The doctor placed the punch over the mole, depressed it, pulled it back and snipped the piece of flesh that was still connected, and presto! I had a beautiful hole in the flesh of my hand. And all without feeling a thing! The doctor put in three stitches, which was also fascinating to watch - any stitches I've had have been in locations I couldn't see, so this was a treat. I'll have the stitches in for two weeks, which is going to be inconvenient at best, and I know I'll be sorry when the anesthesia finally wears off. Mom already tried to convince me to take some kind of pain medication for the impending discomfort. We'll see how bad it is. So, it's uncovered right now, as referenced by the picture. It's supposed to be covered, and I'll bandage it up shortly. The adhesive on the tape was starting to irritate my skin, so I made a quick trip to Meijer for some different tape, as the last thing I need is an adhesive rash surrounding what will soon be itchy stitches.

All in all, it was an interesting appointment. And I urge my fellow pale-skinned friends and those who think because you tan easily that you're immune from the horrors of skin cancer - if you haven't had a mole check, take the time to get one. Prevention can be a beautiful thing.

No comments: