Sunday, January 4, 2009

Operation: Eat Healthy - Update

I have a lot of friends waiting until January 5 to start their healthy eating / exercise resolutions. I decided not to wait for a few reasons. First, I signed up for endurance swimming at the Y. It starts during the week of January 12, but I did not want to be dying in the pool during class from having not swam much in the last few months. So, it has been off to the pool for the last few days, which is working out nicely. Second, I figure the weight I gained over the holidays will come off easier if I work at it sooner. I'm sure there's absolutely no physiological basis for this, and I'm positive it's all mental. It's not like there is a LIFO accounting process for the increase in the number or size of my fat cells (for all you non-accounting people, LIFO means Last In First Out, and is a way of valuing inventory), but really, with a little time on my hands, I figured it didn't make sense to wait. And I thought it might be detrimental to wait.

So, I hopped on the scale this morning and I am +2 pounds from the beginning of December. I'm a bit shocked by that, as I thought it would be quite a bit more given what I ate over the holidays (mom & Nancy made the ridiculous caramel-covered pretzels rolled in toffee and dipped in chocolate - one of the few things I absolutely cannot seem to resist). So, we will see how all of this goes - I'm hoping to make the changes permanent. I don't have the urge to lose a bunch of weight and gain it back again as I've done in the past. And since I've lost weight in the past, I'm not scared or intimidated by the process of doing so, so much as the process of keeping it off. And, having a few weddings to stand up in this year helps just a little with the motivation! Sometimes, it's nice to have a timeline to work with. Wish me luck, and if you're up for a class at the Y, let me know - after all, variety is the spice of life!

No comments: