Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fun Auntie Carrie Strikes Again - There's nothing wrong with a little Salmonella, right?


We had a crazy almost-week at my parent's house. Mom had surgery (and can't put weight on her left leg for three months, which was the best-case scenario), and my brother and uncle have been working like crazy to modify my Mom & Dad's house to be as barrier-free as possible.


My brother mentioned how much my nephew would love some chocolate chip cookies, which meant that my brother would love some chocolate chip cookies. I resisted the temptation to whip out the Kitchen Aid mixer for an entire day (good work on my part!). But, at last, I relented, as I thought about how hard everyone had been working, and started baking on Monday. My nephew was over, watching The Sandlot. He eventually wandered into the kitchen to see what I was doing, and saw the bowl of cookie dough, and asked ever-so-sweetly (as if I'd say "no" anyway), "Can I try a little?"


Seriously? A little? What member of my family only ever had "a little" cookie dough? Surely, none of us qualify. I had scooped out two pans worth of cookies. To use the rest of the dough for baked consumption only, I would've had enough to make 3 - 4 more cookies. It seemed hardly worth keeping the oven on for another 10 minutes for just 3 or 4 measly (yet delicious!) cookies. So, a little dough became a lot. And my nephew has carried on the fine family tradition of licking the cookie dough bowl clean in an effort to become resistant to that awful little bacteria, Salmonella.

No comments: