Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Life as an Inappropriate Aunt

My nephew / godson is receiving his first communion this weekend. As my role as both "Fun Auntie Carrie" and a non-religious nontheist, I stopped at the store to look for a card for the occasion. I made a desperate call to my brother when I discovered, not surprisingly, that there are no funny cards for first communion. At least, there are no intentionally funny first communion cards. My brother suggested I go for an over-the-top card instead, and the best I could find was one with a cartoon picture of Jesus standing near a tree with children at his feet. After reading each card twice, I headed to the $0.99 card section and found a congratulations-themed card with a penguin on the front, saying "Bravissimo!" The inside reads, "That's Italian for 'You Kicked Butt!'" I know for a fact that my nephew will laugh hysterically since the card says "butt," and that's just one of the many things I love about him.

So I started thinking about this a little bit more. I suppose I could've split the difference and selected a congratulations card without religious connotation or the word "butt," and picked something more neutral. And that's when I realized I'm just not comfortable giving a card that's all god and Jesus. I'm perfectly comfortable with one with the word "butt" on it, though.

No comments: