Thursday, September 25, 2008

Highly, highly suggestive...

I was in a funk on Thursday. I was definitely cranky, and I couldn't decide if I wanted to go to the comedy club. And that's strange for me - usually if someone mentions the comedy club, I'm one of the first to clear my schedule. But I just wasn't sure I was in the mood. After making some Kraft Mac & Cheese for dinner, I finally decided that since I was still so cranky, I really needed to go to the comedy club.

And that's where Flip Orley comes in. Connxtions billed him as a hypnotist / comedian. I didn't go with the intention of being hypnotized, but his spiel convinced me. He reassured us that we wouldn't be removing clothes or making animal noises, and that we would remember everything and be aware the entire time. So, I looked at Angela and Alex, and at the same time we threw out the infamous, "If you go up there, I'll go, too." And we actually did. But I'm pretty sure I was the only one up there who really ended up hypnotized.

At first, I was sure it wasn't working. Flip took us through a typical relaxation technique, having us focus on a crystal ball he was holding up. He had us do a few things, like raise our hands to tell him our name and, with our eyes closed, hold our right arm straight out with our hands in fists and the ability to keep our arm straight no matter what force was applied to it. Shortly thereafter, it started to get interesting. I went through feeling like I was being goosed every time Flip touched his forehead and giggling about it, holding a glass of water and not being able to drink it, and being completely offended every time he said "Ladies and Gentlemen," while telling him to apologize for being so mean to the audience.

Every time Flip counted from three to one, and had us close our eyes, I felt my chin drop to my chest and my hands unclasp. The most telling were my feet - they were crossed when I had my eyes open, but as soon as I closed my eyes, I felt that my feet were too heavy to keep crossed. I would position them on the outsides of my feet, with my soles facing each other and my sandals practically falling off, while slumped in the chair. I was aware the entire time, and it was a very surreal and fun experience. Runs With Spatula snapped a few pictures on Angela's camera, and each showed how completely under I really was.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time - my cheeks hurt for hours afterward. I did feel like a circus freak after, as we had a drink at the bar in the comedy club, and I felt many people staring at me from across the room. The emcee for the evening came up and chatted with us on his way out, and commented on how entertaining I was. I am seriously reconsidering a career as a professional laugher.


I did experience a little sense of pride for being open enough to the experience to get so much out of it. I highly recommend giving it a try - as long as I get to be in the audience!

1 comment:

Wishful Ink said...

So, you are with me on the open part! Yay! Love to you.