Thursday, September 4, 2008

I've Caught Up

I did not watch any of the Democratic National Convention. And having missed out on media for almost a week, and walking back to hear of Sarah Palin being named as John McCain's running mate, I was inspired to watch the Republican National Convention happenings this evening. I missed the early speeches, as I was recommitting to water aerobics (yes, I know at least one or two of you is thinking "sea cows" right now, and probably feeling guilty about it, but don't, since I put that thought in your heads, and it's a hard thought to banish) with Jaimie and Felicity, and didn't get home until just before 10pm. That did put me in front of the television in time to see Guiliani, Palin, the roll call of the states, and the opportunity to catch some of the aftermath coverage by C-SPAN.

I am happy to report that I am still quite relaxed after my recent vacation. As such, I was easily able to avoid being irascible, and took the tact that I would simply sit back and chuckle, and enjoy the circus unfolding before me. Giuliani portrayed the usual smugness I expect from him, and I found myself shaking my head, thinking "what a schmuck," especially when he began talking about September 11 and the democrats' lack of acknowledgement of the events that day and the ensuing "war on terror."

Then, it was on to Palin. Sexist, perhaps? I enjoyed her introduction of her family, particularly the way she attempted to ingratiate herself to the convention by insisting her family is just like mine. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I have to say that at 33, I am my parents' last hold-out for an out-of-wedlock pregnancy. Mom & Dad - there's still time! I'll try to get working on that... I also enjoyed the pledge to cut taxes without addressing the infamous war-induced deficit. But my all time favorite part of her speech was when she likened herself (and other hockey moms) to a dog. Seriously, as an independent woman and a feminist, I implore you, Sarah, to avoid referring to my sisters as bitches.

Did you catch the "entertainment" at the end? Gretchen Wilson, some Cowboy guy, and some other country & western yahoo did a bizarre medley of The Star Spangled Banner and the Pledge of Allegiance, ending in a whole lot of off-key screaching at the end, which was eclipsed only by the volume of my laughter. If you turned your television off before that, you really missed out on the one short segment that seemed representative of the entire evening's events.

For me, the evening was filled with text messages back and forth with friends, two of whom suggested I must be masochistic for being so drawn to the RNC. Well, call a spade a spade, I always say. Masochistic, I am! And I enjoyed every second of the RNC this evening for the complete fucking mess it was. Thanks to John and Sarah for reaffirming my vote! See, some good can come of all of this!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Wow - 2 of us called you a masochist? Hmmm.

I agree with you 100% about the sexist comment - I was worried I would be the only one to see that!!!