Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ahhh...the Dakota Inn Rathskellar!

I've enjoyed the Dakota Inn before, and Saturday was no exception. It is a wonderful German bar / restaurant in the old German section of Detroit. The Dakota is located on John R, just north of 6 Mile...not such a nice area, but such a wonderful place visit. Danielle, Frank and I arrived at 5, a little while before her dad and step-mom. We were quickly seated and ordered the Cheese & Sausage board, which is simply gouda, summer sausage and pretzels. It sounds a bit boring, but it's fantastic - the cheese melts in your mouth, and the summer sausage is spiced just right. Add a few German beers and we were off to a great meal! Danielle and I are borderline obsessed with the potato pancakes - they seem like they are made of both mashed and shredded potatoes, and fried to perfection. I ordered a side of red kraut. This sounded funny to me the first time I had it, but it's fantastic - it's a sweeter version of traditional sauerkraut, and paired with the potato pancakes and a dollop of sour cream, you have heaven on a fork. We overate to be sure, but the food is just so good - I think there's much to be said for simplicity in comfort food.

No comments: