Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Life in the World of Online "Dating"

Just because I have so much free time on my hands, I decided to give match.com a whirl. Again. I figured, "What the hell? Haven't been on here in quite a while...maybe things have changed." I challenge all of you who believe I'm not an optimist - obviously I must be an optimist (or just straight-up delusional) to think things may have possibly changed in the realm of online "dating." So, here's a blurb from someone who is calculated to be an 81% match for me:

"I like to watch movies at home or in a theater. I like to hang out with my friends and family. I also like to local race tracks. I work a local race track. Like to hang out in my local donut shops. I like other sports other than racing."

Hmm...this makes me think the other 19% is really freakin' important.

But, I did find a diamond in the rough that gave me a little bit of hope. We emailed back and forth a bit, then he disappeared for a week. I received a final email from him that went a bit like this:

"You seem like a really great person, and I apologize for falling off the face of the earth. I found someone that I think I have a real chance with. I just wanted to let you know. I hope you find someone, too."

Wonder of wonders - a true gentleman, willing to be honest and willing to let me know that it just wasn't going to happen instead of just vanishing. Crazy concept, hey? I did respond back that I wished him the best (which I do), but was secretly thinking I didn't want to burn any bridges should it not work out for him.

Now, I'm not looking for the infamous Mr. Right. I don't really believe he exists. I am looking for Mr. I'm Willing to Work Hard for This and Have Fun Along the Way. If only he'd knock on my door and say, "Hey, let's give it a shot," and save me from the tedium of weeding through profile after profile...

2 comments:

Wishful Ink said...

That 19% must be golden. But hey, at least he liked other sports other than the others...

The diamond in the ruff sounded great. I hope the person he found that it may work out with gets scurvy. Just kidding. Too drastic. Is actually a lesbian? Has 7 toes? whatever might push him back into the pool. Where there is one...

CFreaky said...

I'm hoping for rickets :)