Friday, November 14, 2008

Oh, the People-Watching

I worked the late shift at a charity poker tournament tonight. Not surprisingly, the people get more strange as the night wears on. This was no exception. A. and I were diligently selling and redeeming chips, when one person in particular came up to the counter. I had remarked earlier that I thought he was a bit creepy. Here's the conversation that ensued:
DG: How many kids you got?
Me: (no response...I was counting and logging, and didn't realize he was speaking to me)
DG: I said how many kids you got?
Me: I'm sorry...did you mean me?
DG: Yeah, how many kids you got?
Me: Eight. (dead-pan, by the way)
DG: (staring, shocked, for a few minutes) How many?
Me: (no response, aside from a gentle shrug)
DG: No, you don't got no kids!
Me: You're right, I don't.

A. looked at me - "Did that just happen?" Yep, it did. And yes, DG is code for Drunk Guy. I'm looking forward to working some more on Saturday...

3 comments:

ab said...

Can't wait!

LolaK said...

8 does seem a little high. You don't look old enough nor religiously conservative enough for 8.
Don't you wish you knew why he was asking? Or what he was thinking in his own head?

CFreaky said...

I figured 8 was appropriate - ridiculous questions beget ridiculous answers, I guess. And I am sure I don't want to know what his motivations were... I was asked how my octuplets were doing. I found it funny that the assumption was that if I said 8 kids, the story was better if I had them all at once. I found the thought of me popping one out every 2 years since I was 16 laughable :) But thanks for thinking I look too young for 8 kids, and thanks for noticing I don't have an FLDS hair-do.