Monday, November 22, 2010

Not My Fault...

I meandered over to the hospital again today for yet another CT scan (thin slices this time! And the head, orbits and sinuses!) ordered by Dr. Neurosurgeon. So here's the sequence of events:
-Receive order at Dr. Neurosurgeon's office with instructions to schedule the CT appointment then contact the office for them to obtain the insurance approval. Check - received and understood the order!
-Schedule the appointment and cancel the outstanding MRI for my spine (figured I'd keep that one in case Dr. Neurosurgeon ordered another MRI of something...). Give the scheduling office all sorts of information, including the reason for the CT scan (note: foreshadowing). Check!
-Contact the office regarding the insurance approval. Check!
-Make sure the approval is granted - spoke with Dr. Neurosurgeon's office. Check!
-Show up a half hour early for said scan. Check!
-Sit down and talk with the registration employee. Frick!

So here's how the conversation goes:
Me: Good morning (as I hand her my doctor's order for the test, driver's license and insurance card without her asking because I'm that good of a patient). How are you?
Mean Lady: Good morning. You're here for a CT scan of your head?
Me: Yes, ma'am. And orbits and sinuses.
Mean Lady: Okay. And here's your insurance card and your license? And your doctor's order?
Me: Yes.
Mean Lady: (tapping away on her keyboard) And the reason for the CT scan?
Me: I believe it's on the order - they are looking for a CSF leak (falsely assuming her knowledge base).
Mean Lady: Well I don't know what that even means.
Me: They are looking for a leak of spinal fluid.
Mean Lady: (grabs giant book of medical codes and starts flipping furiously) *Mutter Mutter Mutter*
Me: I'm not sure how that's organized, but some search phrases could be cerebral spinal fluid or spinal fluid. The other diagnosis is spontaneous intracranial hypotension.
Mean Lady: Are you sure it's not a leak due to a lumbar puncture?
Me: Yes, I'm sure it's not.
Mean Lady: Well there's no other reason for a spinal fluid leak. I can't believe they didn't write down a number for this reason. See? (thrusting the book at me) There's leaks, and nothing for spinal fluid except for related to a lumbar puncture. What do you see?
Me: *bewildered and furious* Well, my spinal fluid is leaking. Spontaneously. And I haven't had a lumbar puncture. And maybe I'm a little off base here, but I'm guessing if you code it as related to a lumbar puncture, my insurance may not cover it as they haven't paid for me to have a lumbar puncture. And quite frankly, it's not my job to code this for you. I think it's a bit insensitive of you to imply that I have something to do with this. I informed your scheduling department of the reason for the CT when I called in.
Mean Lady: I just get frustrated with the doctor's offices.
Me: Well I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you could call the referring physician's office for the code. Or maybe you should focus on bringing this issue to the attention of your superiors who can fix your own scheduling and billing processes, as I gave them the information already, and it's fairly redundant to do so multiple times. I think that might be more productive and provide better quality customer service instead of being inconsiderate to patients who are leaking spinal fluid.
Mean Lady: You're right. I'm sorry. (tapping away on the keyboard again) Here's your paperwork. Please take all of this to the X-Ray desk and they will get you right in.
Me: Thank you.

Ugh. I didn't yell. I didn't swear. I didn't slap her upside the head like I wanted to. But I also wasn't going to sit there and let her be cranky to me. I like to think I took one for the team (the team being anyone who goes to that hospital for x-rays or other outpatient services...), and that Mean Lady will realize that maybe she should be nice to patients, but I'm not that much of an optimist, and really I think I maybe ruined her day just a bit like she almost ruined mine.

So, the saga continues. Up next: another trip to see Dr. Neurosurgeon!

No comments: