Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Parte Dos: Should "It" Really Be That Difficult??

My other rant is regarding the United States Postal Service, and particularly the Downtown Lansing branch. We received an application for a PO Box in our PO Box that we use for work. It seemed a bit odd. In reading the letter attached, since Sept. 11 (wasn't that almost 7 years ago??), there has been a need for increased security, and hence additional information from PO Box renters. We needed to complete an updated application, and have each person listed on the PO Box application as one who is allowed to pick up mail come to the post office simultaneously with two forms of ID (excluding birth certificate and social security card - WTF??) to submit said application.
After several phone calls, and being referred to usps.com, which did not provide adequate information to answer my questions, I finally spoke with someone and explained the situation, and referenced the letter. She told me that since the PO Box is used for a business, and since I am already listed on the box, I could complete the application, listing authorized box users (get your minds out of the gutter!), submit my forms of identification, and be on my merry way. She asked if I had the form, and I told her that given the new information, one of my employees completed it incorrectly. She referred me back to the usps.com website, where I quickly found and printed a new form.
I proceeded to the branch, where at lunch time (commonly a busy time at a post office), there were exactly two people working at a total of five stations. I finally made my way to the front of the line, and with a completed application, driver's license and voter registration card in hand, smiled at the customer service agent, explained my situation, and handed her the goods. She looked at me and said, "You didn't fill out the card?!" Card? What card? I was directed to a form. Online. On your website. I printed it. I completed it. I am attempting to submit it. What's up with the card? Apparently, the "form" is printed on a card stock, and sized differently, so the card, not some illegal duplication, must be completed.
Seriously?? Seriously. I stepped aside, completed the form, jumped back to the front of the line (because cuts are legal in that instance in the post office, shockingly enough), and completed my transaction.
I haven't written an email to the USPS because I can't begin to want to deal with that bureaucratic nightmare. However, I decided my potential solution would be for the branches to set up a triage for customers, similar to an emergency room. Oh, and maybe a little retraining for their employees :)

No comments: